1. Steam-clean your microwave with lemon, water, and a sponge.
- Squeeze half a lemon into a bowl with ½ cup of water.
- Microwave the bowl until the water boils, usually around 3 minutes.
- Let the bowl stand for 5 minutes. The steam will loosen up the gunk.
- Remove the bowl and turntable from the microwave.
- Wipe the inside of the microwave with a sponge or paper towel.
- Pat yourself on the back. (Without the sponge in your hand.)
Got some hard-to-remove stains?
No problem. Dip the sponge into the hot lemon water and then scrub the stain with the sponge.
2. Clean your sink drain with baking soda, vinegar, and boiling water.
- Pour 1 cup of baking soda and 2 cups of vinegar down the drain.
- Let the mixture work its magic for a few minutes.
- Pour boiling water down the drain.
Have a garbage disposal?
Follow the above three steps. Then turn on the garbage disposal and drop a handful of lemon peels down the disposal to give it a fresh citrus scent.
When you’re done, turn off the garbage disposal. Your intact fingers will thank you.
3. Refresh your fridge with baking soda, hot water, and coffee grounds.
- Combine 2 tablespoons of baking soda with 1 quart of hot water.
- Dip a sponge into the mix and wipe the fridge’s interior with it.
- Wipe the interior again, this time with a damp cloth.
- Dry the interior with a clean towel.
Nasty smells coming from that lasagna you forgot about?
Scatter fresh coffee grounds onto a tray and leave it inside your fridge until the odor vanishes.
Pro-tip: Let MakeSpace store your extra stuff and donate your old stuff.
4. Remove stovetop stains with baking soda and a wet cloth.
- Make sure the stove is off and the stovetop is cool.
- Sprinkle baking soda on the stains.
- Wipe the stains with a wet cloth.
- Dry the stovetop with a towel or paper towel.
5. Dust your blinds in half the time with a Swiffer cloth or rag attached to tongs.
- Rubber band a dry Swiffer cloth or rag around tongs.
- Clamp the tongs onto one end of a blind.
- While holding the tongs, move your arm to the opposite end of the blind.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 for the rest of the blinds, and swap out the cloth or rag as necessary.
6. Iron out carpet stains with vinegar, water, and a wet rag.
- Spray the stain with a mixture of 1 part vinegar and 2 parts water.
- Put a wet rag over the stain.
- Set your iron to “steam,” and iron the rag for 30 seconds.
- Smile in awe as the rag magically lifts the stain.
7. The Ultimate Hack:
Get MakeSpace to store your extra stuff and donate your old stuff.
Simply get a free MakeSpace quote, schedule a pickup, pack your stuff, and toss anything you’d like to donate in the blue MakeSpace + Goodwill bag that we bring to your appointment.
We’ll pick up your stuff, store it in our secure storage facility, and drop off your donation bag to a local Goodwill.*
The best part: When you need something back from storage, we’ll deliver it to you.